Dictionary of Terms - Online Gambling
If you are going to become involved as an online casino customer, you might have to learn how to speak the language. So we have put together some basic terms and brief definitions, in order that you won't get caught making a mistake when they are brought before you. Isn't that nice of us?
- Casino Bonus - This is essentially a reward given to the player to sign up and open an account with an online casino. Much of the time it is a match bonus; in other words, it is a percentage (often 100%) of what your initial deposit is. Eventually you will be able to take the amount of bonus money and place it into your account.
- Wagering Requirement - This is connected very strongly to the casino bonus, in the sense that it is a requirement that has to be met before that bonus can be cashed and included in the customer's real money casino account. This is also referred to by some people as a "play-through." It is calculated on the basis of a multiple of the deposit that is made PLUS the bonus. To illustrate, if the deposit is $100 and the bonus is 100%, which would equal $100 more, making a total of $200, and the wagering requirements is "40x," it means that the customer must put $8000 worth of wagers into action. This could be 800 wagers of $10 apiece. It does NOT mean that the player has to have $8000 in bankroll.
- Electronic Wallet - Also known as an "e-wallet," this is an electronic payment system which is funded by the account holder through another source, usually a bank account, and it can also be used to fund an online casino account. Many customers utilize the e-wallet method in order to have a conduit of sorts between themselves and the casino, so as not to have to reveal personal financial and/or banking information. Examples of the e-wallet include the likes of MoneyBookers (also known as Skrill), Neteller and POLi.
- No-Download Casino - Most online casinos require the customer to employ software in order to access the casino games that are available. This comes in the form of a downloaded suite, and takes up space on the hard drive. But there is an alternative of a suite of casino games that can be played right through a browser, using Flash or Java technology, and this is what is referred to as a "no-download casino."
- Pokies - This terms is short for "poker machines," which are games with reels and symbols that pay off when winning combinations come across a payline. In other parts of the world, this is known as a slot game. We hope that you play the pokies with some confidence, and if we can help you at all in that pursuit, we will!